New foods, new bugs, new friends

New foods, new bugs, new friends
My new favorite fruit: Caimote - about the size of a lime

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Day 6

Today was animal chore day.  We met the resident worker and thoroughly cleaned out the sheep, goat and rabbit and chicken enclosures.  All the animals were gentle and tolerant of our intrusions.  I wonder if they understand English, since they are usually cared for by Ticos.  I'm conscious of that when I speak to local dogs.  I have even spoken to them in Spanish.  I can't tell if they understand that better- maybe it's my accent.

After 2 sweaty smelly hours, we returned to our home for breakfast and relaxation.  The kids are officially addicted to Bloody UNO.  They have all developed a higher emotional tolerance to being abused by each other, and are all developing cruel talents of their own.  Another form of entertainment they have adopted is silly story telling.  One person tells a never ending rambling story loosely based on a real event they've recently experienced, while another person echoes their words with a light high pitched voice and elaborate hand motions similar to Eurythmy.  I've never seen them do it before but they seem to derive some sort of cultural appreciation for each other's avante-garde story telling skills.

I ran today.  We're at about 2000 feet elevation here which really seems to have had an effect on our breathing....but maybe it's the heavy humidity.  Either way, I was gratified to see that the steep path was within my capabilities.   I returned to find  the kids cutting open coconuts with a machete for tonight's dinner.  They cooked me a beautiful three course meal - rice, bean and cheese baked casserole, sliced star fruit, and coconut-water, lime, banana smoothie.  It was elegant and well presented.  I did the dishes.  They gratefully accepted that gesture of thanks from me.

Today I performed aggressive acts of laundry.  I was perfectly in tune with every sunny moment, and cloudy moment, and visited the laundry shed many times, moving things off the line, onto sunny ledges to ensure the quickest drying time possible.  Some of the clothes have been hanging there for 3 days.  All the humidity and rain makes line drying a slow if not impossible process.  There was joy in Finca Ipe today as many pair of socks and underwear were removed from the line and returned to their rightful owners.

Bats, beetles, geckoes and tree frogs come out in the evenings, adorning our walls and ceilings. Lizards, some 8 inches long, some 1 inch, lie as still as stone along railings and bamboo blinds.  Moths of every shape color and size crowd the few lamps we light to help us find our way in the dim.  Tonight there was a momentary power failure.  It was stunningly dark.  For that moment we were acutely aware of how we are really outside and in the jungle.  The sense of relief was palpable when the lights returned.  Not even a candle and matches in case of longer power outs do we have.  A head lamp, which we now leave prominently in a specific location lends us a small sense of security.

One moment today reminded us of how small the human community can sometimes seem in the vast and varied world.  While chatting with the Australian resident, I mentioned the name of the only other Ozzy family we know, and wouldn't you know it, they went to the same school together.  I can't even begin to imagine all the events that transpired to make the two of us end up here today to learn that.  It's mind numbing.  Mostly, though, it's somehow reassuring to remember that we are all connected by no more than 6 degrees of separation, so they say.

No comments:

Post a Comment